Discover Poetry. 6:19 PM

A breath of fresh air <3

This isn't my poem, but it's one of my favorites of all time. I sometimes read it out loud to myself in my room. The words are warm in my throat and yet they bounce of my tongue with an edge of ice. It's beautiful and yet sad. I imagine an older woman watching a child dancing in the waves, so innocent and free. And she must look back on her life and wish she had grasped on to her innocence just a moment longer. She knows so much yet she knows its of no use to warn the young girl, she has to make the mistakes herself. She lets the girl be innocent and full of hope for the world for as long as she can. Don't be in a hurry to grow up. Stay young and innocent at heart - don't let life harden you. xo

To a child dancing in the wind


DANCE there upon the shore
what need have you to care
for wind or water's roar?
And tumble out our hair
that the salt drops have wet:
Being young you have not known
the fool's triumph, nor yet
love lost as soon as won,
nor the best laborer dead
and all the sheaves to bind.
What need have you to dread
the monstrous crying of the wind? 


Has no one said those daring
kind eyes should be more learn'd?
Or warned you how despairing
the moths are when they are burned,
I could have warned you, but you are young
so we speak in a different tongue.

O you will take whatever's offered
and dream that all the worlds a friend,
suffer as your mother suffered,
be as broken in the end.
But I am old and you are young
and i speak a barbarous tongue

-John Donne



 Listen to this - Eliza Gilkyson - Coast

0 comments: